Tuesday 5 February 2013

Motivation to stay motivated...

My house is tidy.  The laundry basket is empty.  The floor is vacuumed and the beds are made.  it isn't always like this but you can be sure that whenever it is like this I make a vow to keep it that way!

A week later, when the laundry has piled up and the kids' rooms have gone beyond a joke, I wonder where it all went wrong.  Why is it so hard to keep it up?

(You know I should be putting washing away but have chosen to write this instead, right?)

I tend to tidy up when I know I have clients coming round for a workout or nutrition meeting.  My motivation to keep the house tidy wanes at the weekends...

My motivation for keeping fit and healthy and eating clean varies from day to day.  Sometimes it is competitive  I want to do something better than I did it last time or I want to master something I find difficult or I want to see tangible progress.  Sometimes I want to do better than someone else.

Christmas Abbott
Sometimes my motivation is vanity: I want to look good in a bikini, I want my abs to pop or my guns to fire!  Sometimes I want to look like someone else (Christmas Abbott, btw!)

Sometimes it is simply keeping what I've worked hard to get.  

On the days when my motivation is clear, like a client is coming and I really need to clean the kitchen, it's easy to get it done.  On the days when I know I'm working on those abs or I have a little dress to fit into, it's easy to get myself to the gym.

But on the days when no one else is going to see my house, on the days when I'm bundled up in baggy jeans and warm jumpers, it can be hard to find the motivation to get on with it.

And this is where being a grown up kicks in.

Sometimes you've just got to bloody well do it.  Stop wasting time, stop finding excuses, stop scuppering your chances of success and just get on with it!

This is the most useful quote I have come across recently:

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."
Me...

Aldous Huxley



So excuse me while I go and finish putting the washing away so I can get to the gym!




No comments:

Post a Comment