Tuesday 25 December 2012

Christmas guilt

First of all, merry Christmas!

Now, how many of you ate whatever you wanted and thought: sod it?
How many of you ate what you wanted and then felt horribly guilty?
How many of you let that guilt simmer all day?
How many of you experience this guilt so regularly so that it starts eating away at you?

How did your Christmas day go?

Mine was a typical mix of stress, calm, eating, drinking, family, friends and a a dash of guilt every now and again when I snapped at the kids, forgot to top up a guest's drink, ate too many sweets off the gingerbread house, used too much non-recyclable wrapping paper unnecessarily...the list goes on...

Do I feel guilty for not sticking to an entirely paleo Christmas?

I am conscious that my kids never eat cereals any more and that they don't ever get chocolate brioche, pains au chocolat and croissants any more so I thought (as I used to love croissants and coffee of a weekend morning) that this Christmas morning, instead of the traditional Christmas breakfast of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon (perfectly paleo) we would have a selection of pastries.

Not nearly as nice as I was expecting.  I think we would all have preferred the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs scenario.

This breakfast was followed by a lunch of turkey, sausages in bacon, mashed carrots and swede, sprouts with bacon and chestnuts (so far so good) potatoes (I didn't have any) home made cranberry sauce with no sugar and
definitely non paleo bread sauce and gravy - which I did have.

I had paleo Christmas pudding with coconut cream and non paleo brandy butter,  I had two glasses of wine.

I ate a few chocolates.

I've also had two or three clementines and a few coffees.

I made some concessions to our paleo life and I said sod-it to others.

I like the sod it.  It won't carry on much past tomorrow as I feel stuffed.  I prefer feeling like I've eaten clean.  I feel les heavy, less bloated and, yes, I feel less guilty.

I really think feeling guilty about food is a dangerous game to play, especially if you have control issues.  However, personally, I find a little bit of guilt day to day keeps me in check.  It stops me yelling too much at my kids (most of the time!).  It stops me eating the entire box of chocolates in one sitting without sharing them out first and it makes me go to the gym when I don't really feel like it.  A dash of guilt and a sprinkling of remorse can help keep things in check.  Just don't let it ruin your Christmas and wreck your life!

How was your Christmas day?


18 comments:

  1. Are you a consumer who loves to read the best reviews before purchasing any product online? Then customer tipster is the best place you need to check, it covers every niche on the internet such as dating, business, self help, and sports.Customer Tispter

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those interested in Personal Training, we offer Personalized and Group Training with an emphasis in St rength and Conditioning. consumers

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many of you experience this guilt so regularly so that it starts eating away at you?immune tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those interested in Personal Training, we offer Personalized and Group Training with an emphasis in St rength and Conditioning. In addition to 24-Hr Membership. thigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's when you sweat your heart out and achieve your goals. That's if you let your soul win and quite the voice we all have saying quit.http://findmybud.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're different from fat farms and fat camps that put women on restrictive diets ... My time at Green Mountain was good for my body, soul, and self-esteem. ... We're not a fat farm, weight loss camp for adults, fat camp, or anything else like that. SDR weight loss retreats

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fat Loss Factor Program offer the best way to lose weight. We also introduce Fat Loss Factor Product, Reviews. Build your perfect body with FLF program. fat loss factor

    ReplyDelete
  8. f you're looking for a rare way to lose fat, you might want to consider the Fat Loss Factor system, a weight loss system created by Dr Charles Livingston. Best tips to Learn English

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping the use of THC was one of the best things I have ever done and has changed my life for the better! John Ridley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post! I am in need of some motivation and accountability for I have been slipping in my workout routines. This post helped dr oz forskolin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Call the gyms in your are and got try it out A.S.A.P! You can also buy one for your own home!bodybuilding supplements

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sod it. It won't carry on much past tomorrow as I feel stuffed. I prefer feeling like I've eaten clean. I feel les heavy, less bloated and, yes, I feel less guilty.Bikes

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the wake of perusing post I'll without a doubt gain some new useful knowledge… Thank you for sharing your mind boggling contemplations. Touche Spa Pune

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had paleo Christmas pudding with coconut cream and non paleo brandy butter, I had two glasses of wine.clenbuterol online

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a funny post but yes - it is important after Christmas to get back into fitness and be ready for summer. If you want to start, then athletics is great for fitness such as long jump tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is really interesting reading. I am glad I found this and got to read it. Great job on this content. I like it. best keto diet weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. free samples of weight loss products

    ReplyDelete