Wednesday 26 December 2012

You Make it Happen!


I used to make jewellery and I once made a ring with 'You Make it Happen' stamped on it; because it's true.  You really do make it happen.  No one else.

With this in mind, my thoughts are turning to New Year's Resolutions.  This year I am making SMART* goals for myself so that hopefully I have more chance of making them happen.

*SMART - Specific Measurable Achievable Relevant Time-Specific - You can even add Evaluate and Reevaluate to turn them into SMARTER goals!

I will be making sure I not only say what it is I hope to achieve but that I give myself a time frame and a method of completion.  This may sound a little overly organised for daft wishes we all make at what is, in universal terms, an arbitrary point of time reference: new year.  However, I really want to make things happen, I really want to make changes and the only way to ensure my success is to plan.

Fail to plan, plan to fail!

I have 4 goals: personal, business, physical and dream.

I just have to get off my arse and make sure they happen.  That's all there is to it: getting off my behind and making them happen.  
It's that easy.  Easy...isn't it?

Some people like to have a SMART partner, someone they can rely on to keep them on-track, someone to hold them accountable.  This could be as informal as a friend who checks up on your progress every once in a while or a running buddy; it could be someone you check in with on a regular basis for support and evaluation; it could be a trainer or teacher.

I find it hard to have someone I am accountable to as I have control issues, ha ha!  I do not like to be told what to do - it makes me all...stubborn.  

However, my nutrition clients find that coming to see me once a week to discuss what has worked well and what has been tricky, to work through ways to approach sticking ponts and to be weighed is enough to keep them on track (I don't normally advocate using scales as they are often counter-productive but if it helps in the initial stages of weight loss, then I'll relent).  
My PT clients find that coming to me once, twice or three times a week forces them to stick to a program that makes them feel better, stronger, fitter and more in control.  

If you are looking to make changes in 2013 and you are like me, stubborn and bloody minded, then you might find you can go it alone better than you could with someone telling you what to do.

If, however, you find it harder to stay motivated, if you really want to succeed but
know in your heart you find it difficult to stay on track, then perhaps Personal Training or Nutrition Management are just what you need to keep you focused.

It's my job as a Personal Trainer and Nutrition Manager to make sure my clients find ways to stay motivated and focused on their goals.  I use many of the strategies I learned and developed as a teacher to help my clients to achieve things they didn't think were possible, things they didn't believe they could achieve.  It's my aim to keep sessions interesting and varied enough to motivate even the slouchiest of couch potatoes!

So if you are ready to make a commitment, if you are ready to genuinely change your life, be it getting fit, losing weight or just becoming more active, and you need a helping hand to cement that motivation, get in touch and make 2013 the year you really make it happen






No comments:

Post a Comment